Imagine a world where we all were using high vibrational aromatic plants to stay well, affect our moods and support a deep desire to get to know thy inner being. The planet would be vibrating at a whole new level and love would have no option but to take over all beings!
Aromatic plants have been used by many traditions for hundreds of years for things such as sweet smelling offerings in ceremonies & rituals and medicinal support for the body and mind. The widespread use of aromatic plants for spiritual endeavours and in particular the use of essential oils for this purpose is a growing movement, taking us back to ancient times when people naturally connected with the earth and its gifts.
Traditionally a group of scents were used for ritual, prayer, connecting and grounding. These beautiful and sort after aromas have been grouped together and named the “sacred scents” as they continue to support people spiritually all over the world.
Their use is wide-spread throughout churches, temples, pagodas, healing spaces and homes on a daily basis. On a personal level in your home their use plays an important role in supporting both physical and emotional well-being plus enhancing family and individual spiritual practices.
Using essential oils to support your spiritual life can look different for all, considering we all have diverse practices which we class as spiritual… this is no surprise.
Here are a few ideas of how essential oils can be used to support your spiritual path by diffusing aromatically or applying topically:
- Essential oils offer an aromatic effect which can influence emotional and physical states. The positive affect will help you stay consistent with your practice.
- Using essential oils and plants to cleanse the body. Detoxification and spiritual evolution go hand in hand as cleansing naturally connects us back to the earth, which in turn naturally opens our consciousness to connect with spirit.
- Using essential oils to remove and work through emotional blocks which leads to personal and spiritual growth.
- Essential oils have long known to be great for respiratory ailments. So using oils to open airways and support your breath during meditation or pranayama can allow for deep and more effective breathing.
- Use essential oils to remove negative energy in your sacred space prior to practice. Essential oils have the ability to purge negative energy!
- The use of highly vibrational sacred scents help to open a portal for spiritual awareness and clarity.
- When we inhale an essential oil – its key to know that it conveys element of the earth the moon and the sun directly into your consciousness… bringing the elements of the earth within. Knowing this leads to an understanding of our oneness.
- Essential oils directly affect mood and help to shift consciousness.
- Applying essential oils to balance / open chakra prior to mediation. For instance applying one of the sacred scents to your third eye or crown to connect deeper with your higher self.
- Application of essential oils prior to your practice to calm, ground and relax the body and mind in preparation for mediation.
- Pure and therapeutic grease essential oils can act as relaxants physically to allow you to sit deeper in awareness for longer periods or without discomfort.
- Essential oils are one of the highest vibrational things on the planet! They can accelerate you in raising your vibration and spiritual state.
There are many oils that have traditionally be used to support spiritual rituals, ceremonies and meditation. These tend to be high vibrational, grounding , earthy and cleansing.
You may however chose to select an oil based on what your intension for the meditation or ritual you are about to perform is. For instance if you are doing a new moon ritual to manifest abundance you could select and essential oil such as patchouli which has the properties of drawing in prosperity.
If you are hoping to connect spiritually to your higher self during your mediation practice you may select and oil such as frankincense and apply this to your crown and 3rd eye.
I’ve listed my favourites below:
Nearly all ancient religions have used this beautiful aroma to support their spiritual practices. Traditionally it would have been used in resin form, but today we are blessed with an easy to use and highly concentrated oil. It is known to help us acknowledge our inner most truth and intuition. It is grounding, yet high in vibration so is an excellent choice when connecting to your higher self and brining clarity into your life.
Purity is a wonderful tool in support you to cleanse and let go of all things. Negative energy, negative people, old patterns and habits etc… This cleansing allows space for major transformation free from the toxins of the past. If you are feeling weighed down with heavy ego driven emotions this oil will support you well – think jealously, resentful, dark, and envious. Alternatively is you have been in the company of people carrying such emotions it would be a good one to use to cleanse the environment and your aura before you practice.
Magical myrrh is said to enhance and strengthen your spirituality by aligning your energy centres and hence encouraging healing. Its been used traditionally to help cleanse sacred spaces and tools and is well known for its ability to banish during rituals.
Spikenard is a lesser known oil for supporting our spirituality though has been used with frankincense by the ancients to make sacred incense since the beginning. It’s a goodie for relieving emotional tension and uplifting ones spirits hence why is supports practices like meditation so well in that it helps bring us in touch with our inner spirituality.
Other oils which are considered to be part of the “sacred scents” are:
- Palo santo
Other oils you will enjoy during your practice:
- Balance – Grounding Blend
- Lavender – Relaxation
- Vetiver – Centering
- Lemon – Focus
- Melissa – Joy
Whatever you do, know that your spiritual practice is more than just what you do during ritual and meditation… ideally it penetrates all aspects of your life and being.
The joy that planting a garden mindfully brings, can be your spiritual practice. Sharing, giving and connecting can also become part of your spiritual practice, especially if you are doing these things consciously with no expectations or judgements.
Dedicating to daily practices which increase our energetic vibration, collectively helps to increase the vibration of love being sent out to the world. Supporting these practices with high vibrational plants, food and oils means negativity doesn’t stand a chance! Love and spirit wins!
“You cannot perceive what you are not a vibrational match to.”